Title: Interpreter Coordinator/Hispanic Outreach Ministry Coordinator
Reports to: Executive Director – Special Needs Ministry
Grade/Job Code: S14/A242
Created: May 2021
The mission of the Catholic Archdiocese of Washington is to spread the light of the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the world. In the faithful pursuit of this mission, the Archdiocese of Washington is seeking a Staff Interpreter/Hispanic Outreach Ministry Coordinator. The Coordinator will be responsible for providing sign language interpretation, oversee the work of Hispanic Outreach and administrative support to the ministry. The Department of Special Needs Ministries invites all persons with Special Needs and their families to experience, throughout their lifespan, their essential belonging to the Body of Christ. We work with clergy and families as well as other partners to encourage people with special needs to participate fully in their parishes and communities.
Duties & Responsibilities
Staff Sign Language Interpreter (60%)
- Interpret for meetings and workshops (both virtual and in person) for Deaf staff members in multiple locations (Gallaudet, Pope Francis Center, ADW Pastoral Center, ADW Parishes and Schools and partner organizations).
- Teach clergy and seminarians seeking to become fluent in American Sign Language.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies.
- Provide information by answering questions and requests.
- Work collaboratively with Executive Director; assess sign language interpreter’s capabilities for relevant liturgies and events to include: reviewing requests for Sign Language Interpreters, match appropriate contract interpreter with jobs, keep the schedule for all interpreted parishes up to date.
Hispanic Ministry Outreach with Families with Disabilities (40%)
- Oversee the outreach to our Spanish speaking families with family members living with disabilities and ensure administrative systems, procedures, policies, and administrative projects are met.
- Oversee all volunteers working with these families regarding religious education for children and faith formation for adults living with disabilities.
- Act as a liaison between the Deaf Community (self-advocates) and their Spanish speaking family members.
- Ensure all expenses are paid through the ADW accounts payable program Workplace.
- Collaborate with the Department of Special Needs Calendar of Events and Database Contribute to DSN Social Media platforms.
- Identify and implement cost savings opportunities.
- Maintain and coordinate all scheduling for room usage and space, internally and within our partner parishes.
- Order and keep in stock necessary supplies used by Faith formation programs.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Interest in working with persons who are Deaf and or have developmental disabilities and assist in making a difference in their lives.
- Candidate must be highly motivated and a self-starter, with the ability and motivation (passion) to work as part of a team.
- Experience working well with a wide variety of people.
- Candidate must be knowledgeable of and committed to the teachings of the Catholic Church, as well as evidence a spirit of discipleship for the New Evangelization.
- Experience in managing multiple priorities
- Effective communicator in English, Spanish and ASL
- Excellent organizational and people skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks under time sensitive deadlines.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information.
Required Education and Experience
- Practicing Roman Catholic in good standing with thorough knowledge and understanding of the faith that informs everyday life and work in the office
- Bachelor’s degree in Interpreting, Linguistics, Special Education or comparable work experience.
- Experience as a skilled, professional ASL interpreter.
- Experience in Pastoral Ministry, Religious Education or a related field or comparable work/volunteer experience.
- Experience working with persons with developmental differences preferred, but not required.
- CT/CI Interpreter Certification or equivalent
- Fluency in American Sign Language with Interpreting Skills.
- Fluency in Spanish
- Experience providing administrative or office management support
- Strong writing skills, experience writing grant proposals (have been funded) a plus.
- Experience with Microsoft Office tools, Facebook and other social networking and internet technologies.
- Must be able to travel throughout the Archdiocese for parish visits.
- Must be available for evening and weekend work.
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, printers and filing cabinets. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Position/Hours of Work
- This is a full time role with expected evening and weekend hours
Please submit resume and letter of interest to:
Lisa Calla-Russ at email@example.com